Sunday, September 9, 2012

Snippets


All food-related snippets, as it turns out.

Being back at school and busy with all kinds of other activities makes me want to be intentional about what we're eating so we don't end up eating convenient things like frozen pizza, which is so good and such a temptation! So far that has meant me cooking a lot on Sundays and pre-packing lots of lunches and preparing lots of meals to warm up throughout the week. Eggs, as always, play a prominent role, and that is another post in the making. Here are some other things happening in our kitchen.



Apple cider made the house smell wonderful today! I didn't have cinnamon sticks so I emptied out an old teabag and refilled it with apple pie spice, and wrapped it up with a twist tie.


Wanted to remember this way to preserve "fresh" ginger in the refrigerator: slice and store in a jar of cooking sherry! Sherry is often in Thai cooking anyway, and in which I most often use fresh ginger, so it all works out.


Kraut is currently fermenting itself in our pantry... still in a plastic bucket. We are on the lookout for a real kraut crock.


The best salsa we've ever made, pre-canning. I think the kicker was the roasted corn, and the use of apple-cider vinegar instead of white. We used the end as a base for chili tonight, which was great.


A new Sunday ritual is making granola. In this week's batch, I included toasted amaranth and quinoa grains, which add a delightful crunch. It is sweetened with maple syrup.


Look at these incredible maple sugar crystals that ended up on the inside of our jug! I'm trying to figure out something else to store in there that could be infused with all that great maple sugar flavor. 

I hope you're eating as well around your place!  


No comments:

Post a Comment