Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Presto Pesto

I first liked pesto at my aunt Kathy's house when I was in high school. For 15 years or so I had her recipe written down on the back of a page of her 1995 day calendar and would use it each time I'd make pesto. This summer I haven't been using recipes when making pestos, to good results. You can make pesto with any herbs, and experiment with other oils and nuts and hard cheeses. I'm wondering about a walnut and sage pesto... next time.
Tonight, I used about a cup of basil leaves, 3 garlic cloves, small handfuls of grated parmesan and pine nuts, and enough olive oil to make the food processor do its job with it all.
I'm going add it to my collection in the freezer- it is truly special to taste that bright green flavor as a pasta or pizza sauce, marinade, spread for bread or crackers, or stirred into soups in the middle of darkest winter!

1 comment:

  1. I have a great pecan and parsley pesto recipe. It's just 2 c parsley, 3 scallions, 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 c olive oil, 1 c toasted pecans, and S&P. It's delicious and a great way to use up fresh parsley!

    ReplyDelete