Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Oysters

The morels have pretty much stopped coming up around TellTheBees... or perhaps the mayapples and gallium and jack-in-the-pulpits and whatnot have gotten too big and green for one to be able to find any morels. These oyster mushrooms, though, are big and pale and grow in clusters on logs- easy to find, and easy pickings. They smell of anise, and are heavy. So dense, they'd be grillable, I believe! The pound or so I found yesterday was sauteed with some garden chives to embellish some duck eggs for dinner last night. So good!

I'm excited to keep sampling more wild foods... a friend recently made a ramp pesto which I'd like to reproduce, and I have my eyes on nettles and raspberry leaves and my sights set on berry season.

May your week be fruitful!

1 comment:

  1. I just pinned this on my Driftless Region board. We'll be up this weekend. Maybe we'll see you around. Karen T.

    ReplyDelete