Thursday, May 3, 2012

horseradish!

A gardening co-worker left a styrofoam cooler of horseradish bulbs in my classroom last spring. I planted them, and in March up popped some beautiful plants.


Today, finally, after several afterschool consultations with said coworker, I dug up the bulbs and cleaned them off and trimmed them. I had been advised to do all of this outside.


I cut up the roots and added honey and white vinegar and chopped in a food processor for a very long time.


The resulting sauce is very mild and smooth, but with all the distinctive flavor of horseradish.
Adding the vinegar later rather than right after chopping would have meant more spice- vinegar, or another acid, stops the chemical reaction which occurs when the horseradish is grated.



One jar for my coworker, one jar for me. There's an epic dinner party in the works- Springtime Hunter/Gatherer/Gardener - and I'm imagining mixing this horseradish with cream as a sauce for grilled duck... ?


Happy spring. Its really here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment