Saturday, January 14, 2012

Something New

I made lip balm today, from the wax and honey of our own bees. Such fun! So satisfying! I so enjoy the experimenting, the tweaking of recipes, the using of home-grown ingredients, the trying things out.


I read about lots of different recipes and variations, and in the end decided on using the simplest of components, with some peppermint oil thrown in to hopefully mimic our old standby, Burt's. Backyard beeswax and honey, Spanish olive oil, Californian peppermint oil. The final recipe ended up being roughly 1 part wax, 1 part honey, 1 1/2 part olive oil, and a tsp of peppermint essential oil, melted in a mock double-boiler.


I accidentally made a lot.





There was so much leftover I filled a cardboard raisin carton. Jake thinks we can use it to reseal our kitchen's concrete countertop!

Next up on the something new: kombucha mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment